To mark this year’s Holocaust Memorial Day on the 27th January, the Green Man Community Centre in East Finchley has put up a display in their foyer to help promote the good work of the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust (HMDT).
The HMDT awareness campaign this year is “Speak Up, Speak Out” and is about encouraging people to sign up to a pledge to do the following:
- remember those whose lives have been destroyed through hatred and exclusion in the Holocaust, under Nazi persecution and in subsequent genocides in Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia and Darfur.
- challenge the language of hatred when I hear it and never use it myself.
- carefully consider how I use my voice and will tell others how I feel in a way that does not harm or offend, whether I am speaking, online or in writing.
- give voice to the voiceless and use my words to draw attention to the experiences of others.
- work with my friends, family, colleagues and my community to create a society which is free from the dangers of persecution and hatred.
Mark Healey, Centre Manager who put the centre’s display together said:
“I think that it is very important that we support this campaign, it’s important to remember what has happened in the past to ensure that we work together towards a future where these things don’t happen any more. “